We are complicated.
Our bodies possess a complex collection of functional tools like our brain, eyes, limbs, heart, joints and other organs that help us to make our way through life. Life is good when everything is working the way it is supposed to. But, if one of these crucial systems begins to fail, it can completely change the game for us in no time.
Introducing brain fog.
For me, brain fog comes and goes, but seems to be more prevalent when I’m hitting the antibacterial, antiviral and anti fungals harder than usual. In many cases, when it hits me, I lose my concentration and become forgetful. And, I can no longer pull myself to successfully work. It just isn’t there. I simply have a hard time concentrating and it is far more difficult to problem solve and making decisions.
Brain fog is really exactly like it sounds. It can come upon you quickly and subside just as quickly or it can come on gradually and maybe last for years. I don’t pretend to know all of the mechanisms that can cause brain fog, but from what I’ve found so far, some of the reasons might be:
- Infection- Bacterial, viral, fungal and parasitic infections are far more prevalent in society than ever before. Infections consume resources that we need to stay healthy and can block the uptake of others. I have a feeling that a great majority of brain fog is related to some kind of pathogen. Many diseases like Rheumatoid Arthritis and Lyme Disease are well known for their ability to fog your brain. I am a firm believer that infection can and does cause a great deal, if not most, behavioral disorders and diseases like ASD, Bipolar Disorder and Schizophrenia. And, I can attest, that the way my thoughts and emotions have been constantly in disarray during my battle with this disease, that these infections can affect your mind as much as they can affect your body and central nervous system.
- Healing crisis- Recently, I added a new supplement to my RA toolbox (Stevia by Nutramedix *NOTE ON STEVIA BELOW) and have been experiencing some intense healing crisis (herxheimer). During this healing crisis my brain fog has kicked into high gear and my motivation, into low. I can only imagine the amounts of toxins that are generated when we effectively slaughter invaders like this. But, I have a distinct feeling that these toxins are often much of the cause of brain fog. Detox anyone?
- Environment- Molds, EMF, vaccinations, heavy metals, barometric pressure and so on could definitely play a role in brain fog.
- Diet- Some say that wheat, gluten or other food allergies can cause brain fog. I do believe that this is true. But, I think that there is likely a infectious reason behind the food allergy. For instance, it is said that those who have a Candida overgrowth crave sugar. In my opinion, diet changes that help with these diseases are not helping because our body is suddenly broken, it is helping because of some kind of interaction with the underlying infection.
- Injury- Of course, brain fog could come from traumatic injury as well.
Treatment of brain fog
Hmmm. Well. I don’t know if there is any one cure-all for brain fog. I believe that to effectively eliminate it, you basically have to eliminate the cause of the issue itself. So, instead of buying supplements to boost your brain and clear your head, I recommend trying to work on clearing the illness or infection that is behind it as well as implementation of some kind of detox.
In visiting Earth Clinic, I found a couple of suggestions:
- Apple cider vinegar- They say that taking a couple of tablespoons of ACV a few times a day can effectively kill brain fog. I believe that this might come as a result of ACV’s ability to help clear toxins from the body. Either way, ACV has been touted time and time again for several healthy benefits. So, for me it’s a no brainer. As of today, I’m getting back on the ACV wagon. I’ll post an update letting everyone know how I fare. I use the Bragg brand of ACV ‘with mother’. Simply pour a couple teaspoons in a small glass of water (or a low sugar juice) and drink it down.
- Extra virgin cold pressed coconut oil- We’ve all heard the goodness that coconut oil can bring to our lives. Many say that eating a spoonful of coconut oil 2-3 times a day can help to eliminate brain fog and give you added energy as a bonus.
Well, one thing is for sure. Both of these remedies are super well known for their health benefits and I have found that both can play an huge part in fighting a bacterial infection. So, it sounds promising. I’ll keep you posted with my findings.
UPDATE: The brain fog that I had for so long diminished at this time to the point where I no longer notice anything other than some occasional,minor lack of concentration. I believe that if you just continue to attack the pathogens that are causing your issues, the brain fog will be diminished as other symptoms lessen. So, I don’t have a distinct treatment answer for this, other than just to keep attacking bacteria, viruses and biofilms.
*NOTE ON TAKING STEVIA*– Stevia (Nutramedix) is said to be an effective biofilm buster. While I do believe that there is something to that, I also have to report that I experienced what seemed to be a reduced level of testosterone while taking it. While I believe it to be effective, especially if you are really sick, I urge caution with this one.
Due to my somewhat negative experience with Stevia, I discontinued taking it directly, and instead am now adding a few droppers full to each new large bottle of listerine mouthwash that I buy. This seems to be working well and helping to keep my mouth in great shape, while not affecting me physically in any noticeable manner. After discontinuing the direct Stevia dosing, it took about a month to feel like I was back to normal.
11-16-17 ANOTHER POSSIBLE OPTION: A lot of reviewers have stated that Pinella, by NutraMedix (Awesome company) helps tremendously with brain fog. I have not taken this and no longer have brain fog. but, if you do, this might help:
Here’s the link: Pinella by NutraMedix